Thursday, August 20, 2015

In a World...

I`m throwing Step 7 of the snowflake method out the window for the most part as well.  I`ll take some time to figure out what my characters actually look like, their birthdates, and other inane statistics that make up people, but for the most part, I think I fleshed them out fairly well back in Step 5 (my half-to-full-page synopses became at-least-two-and-a-half-page synopses).

Since this is fantasy work, I need to take more time to actually build my world.  This isn`t something Randy`s process seems to deal with, but it`s kind of crucial if you`re not setting something in a real place.  My plan is to work in the following way:

1. Make a list of major towns/cities/buildings where you know a lot of action is going to occur.

2. For important buildings, write a descriptive paragraph for the exterior and interior.  If specific rooms within that building are important, a paragraph for each of those rooms is also important.

3. For towns and cities, write a paragraph about the history of the place, and another paragraph describing the overall feel and look of the place.

4. Draw maps.  This has been my downfall before, because I get frustrated with the map, and then end up abandoning the project altogether.  But it`s going to help when your main character is racing through the streets trying to shake off pursuers and you actually understand the route they`re taking.  Even if it`s as basic and blocky as the original The Legend of Zelda map, have something to help you plan.


5. Find images that sort of fit what you`ve described, so you have something to reference when you need a spark of inspiration, or information on some tiny detail that you didn`t bother with in the previous steps.

6. What`s going on in your world socially?  What`s the hierarchy/class system like?  Governing body?

7. How does time pass in your world?  With this particular project, I`m trying to determine whether using the modern calendar is too jarring for my world, if I can use an older version of our calendar, or if I have to make up another calendar system entirely.

8. What`s the climate like?  That blob you drew on a piece of paper with all the major cities is great, but where does that fit in the greater scheme of your world?  Is it in the North and super-cold?  Is it a desert?  Do you even have North and South, or are you creating another Discworld?

No comments:

Post a Comment